|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Vengsarkar asked to select team over phone
November 28, 2007 20:27 IST
Last Updated: November 28, 2007 21:18 IST
Another controversy surrounded chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar on Wednesday night following reports that he has been directed to select India's team for the third Test against Pakistan after discussion over telephone, a move he says has humiliated him.
Vengsarkar, who had a run-in with the Board of Control for Cricket in India last week over his newspaper columns, has reportedly been told to discuss the team selection with four other selectors over telephone ahead of the third Test, beginning in Bangalore on December 8.
No one from the Board was willing confirm or deny reports about this directive to Vengsarkar, who was quoted by a television channel as saying he was humiliated by the BCCI's behaviour and it will be the first time that a team will be selected over phone.
"I have no comments to make on this," BCCI secretary Niranajn Shah said, when asked about the development.
The reports also said that Vengsarkar had requested the BCCI to shift the venue for the selection committee meeting and the Board responded with this directive.
The apparent reason for the BCCI's unprecedented directive was that selectors would end up missing the ongoing Ranji matches if they gather for the selection committee meeting in Bangalore.
The latest development marks a new twist to the ongoing tussle between Vengsarkar and BCCI officials.