Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article

Home > Cricket > Report


BCCI rules out CWG participation

December 23, 2006 19:29 IST

The Board of Control for Cricket in India, on Saturday ruled out participation in the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi citing a packed schedule of the Indian team under the ICC's Future Tours Programme.

The BCCI Working Committee also formed a sub-committee to deal with players' contract but there was no discussion on nominating its chief Sharad Pawar as the consensus candidate for the post of president of International Cricket Council.

"The working committee discussed the invitation to take part in the 2010 Commonwealth Games and felt that the Future Tours Programme as it stands now is too crowded and would not lend itself to participate in the Games," BCCI treasurer N Srinivasan told reporters after the meeting.

On the issue of players' contract, Srinivasan said a committee had been formed comprising himself, I S Bindra, Shashank Manohar, Secretary Niranjan Shah and Chief Adminstrative Officer Ratnakar Shetty to finalise the details.

"At this moment I can't say what the parameters will be but we will try to find the right balance. The board members were concerned with the performance of the team and felt that players should be motivated to do well," the official said.

Manohar had said after the Indian team's massive loss in the first ODI in South Africa that the players should not get even a single penny as match fees.

"The contracts will be finalised in the intervening period betwee the team's return and their next tour (World Cup)," Srinivasan said, adding "it will be a comprehensive package, taking perfomance also into consideration."

The committee also approved the Tours and Programmes Fixtures Committee's allotment of matches for the forthcoming visit by the West Indies and Sri Lankan teams to play two four-match ODI series against India.

West Indies will play at Nagpur (Jan 21), Cuttack (Jan 24), Chennai (Jan 27) and Vadodara (Jan 30) while the matches against Sri Lanka have been allotted to Pune (Feb 8), Rajkot (Feb 11), Goa (Feb 14) and Vishakhapatnam (Feb 17).

"The committee also approved the budget for the tours of Bangladesh of the Indian team after the World Cup and to England later," Srinivasan said.

But he said there was no discussion on proposing Pawar's name as a candidate to take over as the next president of the ICC after its secretary Niranjan Shah had said earlier it was one of the matters that would be discussed at the meeting.

"That item was not on the agenda of the meeting and neither did it come up for discussion," Srinivasan said.

Shah had said that the other three South Asian full members of the ICC, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, were in support of Pawar becoming the next chief of the ICC after current president Percy Sonn (South Africa) completes his term.

The deadline for submitting a candidate's name to the ICC's nomination committee headed by former BCCI chief A C Muthiah is January 1, 2007, while Pawar, who chaired Saturday's meeting, had been non-committal on the issue.


Share your comments


Advertisement






Copyright © 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.