rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Business » 2G scam: CBI unaware of threat to national security

2G scam: CBI unaware of threat to national security

Last updated on: February 22, 2011 21:05 IST

2G scam: CBI unaware of threat to national security

     Next

Next
The Central Bureau of Investigation on Tuesday said it was not aware of the threat to national security posed by allocation of 2G spectrum to some telecom firms, which subsequently offloaded their shares to global firms with links to Pakistan, an issue raised by Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy.

"We (CBI) are not aware of the details of national security aspect as raised by Swamy in his application as a copy of the complaint by him is not available with us," CBI told Special Judge Pradeep Chaddah adding it had been probing the 2G spectrum allocation scam as per the case registered by it.

Click NEXT to read on


Image: Spectrum scam raises secuirty issue.

     Next

2G scam: CBI unaware of threat to national security

Prev     Next
Prev

Next
CBI's plea came despite Judge Chaddah, while issuing a notice to the agency on February 5 and seeking its detailed status report on the 2G probe, had specifically asked the agency if its investigation also covered the national security aspect as raised by Swamy.

Swamy, in his petition filed before the court, had said Swam Telecom and Unitech Wireless, which were allotted licensees, had sold their major shares to two foreign companies Etisalat DB and Telenor, which is "a major threat" to national security.

"The first two licensees, Swan Telecom and Unitech Wireless, soon after sold their controlling shares to Etisalat DB and Telenor respectively. The national security risk from these companies are highlighted by the Union Home Ministry as their connections go right into Pakistan," Swamy had alleged.

Click NEXT to read on


Image: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy.

Prev     Next

2G scam: CBI unaware of threat to national security

Prev     Next
Prev

Next
During the hearing, Swamy also sought the court's direction to CBI to ask the Union Home Ministry, Research and Analysis Wing and other intelligence agencies to find out the bearings of 2G spectrum allocation scam on national security.

The court, however, asked CBI to find out the national security concern as raised by Swamy.

"It is your (CBI) work to find out what national security risk is connected with the 2G spectrum allocation," the judge said. Following CBI's plea that it did not have the copy of Swamy's complaint, the Janata Party chief promptly handed over the copy to the agency with additional offer to sit with them to discuss various issues.

Swamy said the Home Ministry, in its report, had said Etisalat should not be allowed to come to India.

Click NEXT to read on


Image: 2G scam raises security issues.

Prev     Next

2G scam: CBI unaware of threat to national security

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

"Home Ministry report says that Etisalat should not come to India but it has been allowed. How can the Telecom Ministry allow it"? he said.

Swamy claimed Swam Telecom promoter Shahid Usman Balwa, arrested for his role in the 2G scam owns a private airport at Palanpur in Gujarat, which is illegal as per the laws of the land.

He said Balwa uses the private airport to travel frequently, even abroad, and may be without informing the authorities.

"Balwa owns private jets and all kind of VIPs and criminals can go from there without any check," Swamy alleged.

Click NEXT to read on


Image: Swam Telecom promoter Shahid Usman Balwa (inset)

Prev     Next

2G scam: CBI unaware of threat to national security

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Swamy also claimed that as per an Union Home Ministry report, Balwa is linked to fugitive underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.

The court was hearing Swamy's complaint for trial of Raja and others for their alleged role in 2G scam.

On Swamy's complaint, the court had on January 22 summoned Comptroller and Auditor General Vinod Rai and CAG Director R P Singh for their examination as witnesses to initiate action.

The court, however, had on February 5 deferred the CAG officials' examination and had asked CBI to file its status report on the probe into the complaint.

Click NEXT to read on


Image: A Raja.

Prev     Next

2G scam: CBI unaware of threat to national security

Prev     More
Prev

More
Apprising the court of its probe, CBI said in its status report that "after registration of the case, numerous searches were conducted in the Department of Telecom, various private companies, besides the residential premises of various public servants and people including Raja," CBI said.

"The searches and seizures made by the CBI resulted in the recovery of voluminous documents. Various witnesses have also been examined in respect of the facts of the case," the investigating agency said.


Image: CBI probing every aspect of 2G scam.

Prev     More
© Copyright 2014 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.